Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Crimping .38 special ?

Can someone tell me when a taper crimp is required. Bullets with crimp groove I always roll crimp.Im just not familiar with taper crimping .38 special.All help is appreciated.

Title
    Premium Member
    I lightly taper crimp those bullets that don't have a crimp groove, such as plated bullets.
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Administrator
    Taper Crimp is usually for Auto's like 9mm and 45acp, etc.
    revolvers want a good roll crimp to hold the bullet in place a bit longer

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Taper Crimp is usually for Auto's like 9mm and 45acp, etc.
    revolvers want a good roll crimp to hold the bullet in place a bit longer
    What Wes said. Roll crump .38/.357, taper 9mm and .45

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Let me expand my previous post a bit, as mentioned below, I use the Redding Profile crimp with plated type bullets that have a cannelure.

If you are planning to load maximum level 357 Magnum loads and the bullets you plan on using have a cannelure, you will want to roll crimp (Redding calls it their Profile crimp). Otherwise, you may experience bullet jump when firing your gun. Sometimes, the bullet can jump out of the case enough to lock up your cylinder. (This is what Wes was referring to)

If your bullet does not have a cannelure, you will want a taper crimp but you probably will not be able to load them to full velocity without experiencing bullet jump.

Make note of the following, since the 357 magnum is a longer case than 38 special, and the crimp is affected by case length:

- Most of the manufacturers sell a 357 Magnum/38 Special die set. I know the RCBS sets come with a spacer that can be used so that the neck expanding die and seater/crimp die do not have to be adjusted when switching between cartridges. Redding offers a spacer but I'm not sure it is included with the combination die set or not.
    - A crimp die that says it is for 357 Magnum may not adjust enough to crimp the shorter 38 Special case. A 38 Special crimp die can be used to crimp 357 Magnum ammunition.
    - Redding lists a 357 Magnum/38 Special taper crimp die in their on line catalog so it will be capable of crimping both cartridges.
    - RCBS offers 357 Magnum/38 Special die sets with either a roll crimp seater die or a taper crimp seater die.

For me, if lead with a groove I use a roll crimp die, for cannelure bullets I use the Redding Profile, for plain plated style, I use either the Profile die or the Dillon crimp die.

Not trying to overcomplicate, but just present the various factors involved...
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for all the info guys. One last question, how would you deal with flush seated WC?

Title
    Premium Member
    Low pressure special rounds

Title
    Administrator
    Seat them just out of the case and crimp if you like. The Xtreme 148fe DEWC have a cannelure on both ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herriage View Post
    Low pressure special rounds

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herriage View Post
    Can someone tell me when a taper crimp is required. Bullets with crimp groove I always roll crimp.Im just not familiar with taper crimping .38 special.All help is appreciated.
    Taper crimps are required on 9mm, 38 super, 45 acp, 10 mm. Any round that headspaces off the case mouth. How's that?

Title
    Premium Member
    I use a Lee factory crimp die. Never had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk